Downtime means the time between games. “Submitting a downtime” means sending an email to the refs (or contacting them in some way if you’re offline) in which you detail your character’s exploits in the weeks between the games doing things like learning things and following the plot.
It sometimes takes time to achieve things in downtime. You can use them as an opportunity to work towards a goal such as raising an ability, but depending what you are doing it may take longer than one downtime to achieve.
Backgrounds and downtimes can be emailed to the refs at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In exchange you will receive 1 XP and a reply from the Refs to let you know the outcome of your actions, confirm any XP expenditure and give you any other relevant or useful information they see fit.
XP or Experience points are used to advance your character in Sabbat.
- A character played for the majority of a game will gain 2 XP
- Submitting a downtime gains your character 1 XP
XP Spend Costs
- Attribute / Level 1-5 Abilities / Ability Specialisation: 1 XP, Level 6 Abilities*: 2 XP
- Buy Off Negative Trait: 2 XP
- Buy Off Flaw: Double the flaw bonus
- Willpower: 3 XP
- Path / Humanity: 2 XP
- Virtue: 3 XP
- Disciplines: Basic 3 XP / Intermediate 6 XP / Advanced 9 XP / Elder** 12 XP / Master** 15 XP (costs +1 XP if learnt out of clan)
- Rituals: Basic 2 XP / Intermediate 4 XP / Advanced 6 XP
*no generation limit
**generation 8 and above only, take a minimum of 2 downtimes to learn
If you write a background for your character and send it to the refs at email@example.com you will gain 1 XP.
All existing characters are stored on the ref’s database and you will be provided with a complete character sheet at the beginning of each game, which will reflect any XP expenditure and new stats from the previous downtime.
All starting characters are required to pass the refs a copy of their character sheet after their first game so that they can be logged in the database.